Sunday, March 30, 2008

Besant Beach

I went to church this morning at the House of Prayer, which is close by, so that Abdul could have the day off. The rest of the day I spent at Besant Beach. I have a dozen shots of this group of kids. My camera was very entertaining to them. Especially the boy in the blue shirt.





On the other side of this hut, there was a group of women sitting in a circle playing a board game. Across the alley in a grass hut, a group of men were sitting around playing a game and a second group playing cards. Maybe its a Sunday evening thing?
I saw one guy jogging on the beach. He inspired me. I haven't run since I've been here. I was on a section of beach that was mostly deserted, so with my sandals in one hand and my camera in the other, I started off. I was just four minutes into my run when this turtle passed me up.
I thought I would run all the way to Marina Beach, but after a few minutes I came to a river and realized I would have to swim or turn back. These guys were swimming there. They wanted to talk.
While I was taking their picture, someone stole my sandals. My $75 Tevas: leather, waterproof, arch support. I was very bummed. On my way home I walk by the fisherman village where practically no one had shoes. Nor did they have the luxury of indoor plumbing. Their bathroom is the beach. Not much privacy. I walked by that as well. So I was able to change my perspective about my Tevas. Although by the time I walked the 30 minutes back to my flat, I was really missing them. Usually, on my walks, at least one rickshaw driver will stop and ask If I want a ride, but not this time.