Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Apartment in Chennai

These pictures are of my apartment in Chennai India. It has a living room, dining room, kitchen, 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, small deck. A washer and Dryer are located outside on second 'back' deck. One or more ceiling fans in each room, including bathrooms. Air conditioning units in each room. A TV in each room with lots of channels, but nothing good to watch.

When I asked Narayan how the living standards of the POWRTRAK team compared to this apartment, he said "On a scale of 1 to 100 where this apartment is a 90, the living conditions of the team would be about 20."

The owner, Mr. Jacob, is a Christian. He acted like I should have assumed he was a Christian since his name is 'Jacob'. He attends a nearby catholic church. There is also a protestant church, "House of prayer", located within one Km.




This is where Shaji prepares my meals. He will fix whatever I ask, but I'm letting him decide the menu. This morning, he prepared something that looked similar to oatmeal. It was eggs, milk, and butter. When hot sauce was added, it was very tasty. The kitchen has a water purifier system and large water dispenser.



All three bedrooms are the same size. They have plenty of closet space to accommodate the limited amount of clothes I could fit in my suite cases.
Notice the water hose next to the toilet. That is the replacement for toilet paper. I have not attempted to use it. I may need coaching on the proper technique. This is the method used at the office as well. Yesterday, there was no toilet paper in the bathrooms at the office. I may start carrying my own stash.