Thursday, February 28, 2008

Abdul

This is Abdul, my driver. Abdul speaks English as well as anyone that I've met so far, including my co-workers. Abdul has eight brothers and two sisters. He has an eighth grade education. Due to some problems, that he did not elaborate on, he had to quit school and go to work to help support his family.


Abdul takes me to work at aprox. 11:30 am, then he waits with the car until I am finished with work at aprox. 10:30 - 11:30 pm. This seems to be a common practice here. After Abdul drops me at the apartment, he leaves the car downstairs and catches a train or a bus home. He says the risk is to high for him to drive the car home. i.e. he would have to pay for damages if something happened to the car on his way home. He will return in the morning in time to wash the car before he takes me to work.


I read an article in the local paper, "The Hindu", that there is a high demand for drivers. Drivers are constantly switching jobs to get higher paying positions. A personal driver might make INR 8000 per month. That is approx. $200.